A print from a work I began on canvas a little while back. I scanned it into the iPad, and added to it (freehand) using a little art app media in “Procreate”. Then put a little watercolour and gouache onto the print.
I knew I wanted to do further work on the print, so I printed it onto watercolour paper (300gsm), asinkjet papers have a finish which inhibits the flow of watercolour media. I’m learning what paper suits what purpose… There’s a recycled 300gsm card I print on with a really smooth surface, which takes colour pencil work beautifully. If I’m not adding any work to the final print, I have some lovely inkjet papers to choose from.
In the video below you can see the work I did in the “Procreate” app with: paint, pencil and the artist crayon. Unfortunately, I overworked it and lost the intial washy look of the paint. However, I’m pleased with the effect of the canvas texture showing through. I could finish it on the canvas, but not sure where it’s got to! Anyway, as I sort of like how it ended up, thought I’d share it here.
You can read more about the “faces” I like to draw and paint, on this appropriately named blog post, “About Drawing Faces”. 🙂 Thanks for stopping by!
I drew this with an “Artline” pen, (a type of pen I’ve enjoyed using for years) from a photo I took of rocks by a running stream, at a local swimming spot. I brushed over the lines with water – part of the fun is not knowing how the ink will spread. After scanning it in with the “Scanner Pro” app, I painted in some more black tones with my finger, using paint in the “Procreate” app. A grey tone came in with the scan. Instead of rescanning it, I thought it suited the drawing so I kept it there.
Unfortunately, the ink in these pens does fade over time, however, printing it with my Epson pigment ink printer gives it a fade resistant, and smudge proof home. I can then paint on it further in traditional media – as in the image below.
I’ve collected together a few of my recent works (play) 🙂 below. As usual there are faces, and pears – another favourite subject matter… I’ve enjoyed doing landscapes again, and I plan to do some more. Thank you for stopping by! *Please tap on a pic to enlarge them all.
I often draw and paint images of a mother and baby;as a mum of four boys (young men now) it’s probably not surprising. I do so many of them I’ve decided to begin giving each a number and letter as a title; which I also do now with my flower artworks. A bit of a melancholy look on her face; think it could well be tiredness!
I painted this with gouache, on acrylic painting paper. After I scanned it in with the Scanner Pro app, I softened some of the outer edges with the artist crayon in Procreate (hmm, a suitable name in this instance); and added a touch more media in places. You can see this in the video below.
It printed up well on the Epson Archival Matte paper. I love how it shows the texture of the paper. Sort of like the edge around the pic, but may try it with out it. I’ll remove it with the eraser set on the soft airbrush in the Procreate app. Hmm, may soften the line under the right eye…difficult to know when to finish sometimes!
Sometimes a scan is brighter in colour than the work on paper or canvas, which often I quite like; and informs me of changes I may like to make to the original.
My skills with scanning are improving. This enables me to quite easily make “reproductive” prints of some of my traditional media artworks. I also continue to experiment with beginning a work on paper/canvas, completing a large part of it in an art app; and sometimes adding more traditional art media on the print…and so on… And there’s some lovely inkjet papers that I’m trying out.
Scanned in my gouache painting with the iPad, using “Scanner Pro”.I then took it into the “Procreate” app, where I finger painted in some white watercolour media over the red flowers. I had hoped to freshen up the overworked look of the flowers, however, it didn’t quite work.
In the gouache (Caran D’Ache Gouache Studio tablets) on paper I scrubbed back some of the red paint… didn’t help much.. May be able to rescue it with a little white paint – though this may just muddy it up more! Oh well, on with the next one..
As I continue to experiment in various ways, with mixing my traditional and art app media together, the “Scanner Pro” app has become increasingly useful. Slowly, I’m getting better at using it…