Oh the endless (mini) dramas of spilt milk…(or other liquids). These deserve to feature in a splash of paint, and a dash of words. A frequent scene when I had a household of young children.
This is another poem from my collection of illustrated haiku/haiga. I wrote and drew them many years ago, in a flurry, while raising four boys (young men now) in between: cooking, cleaning, and the washing machine…
Over time, I’m scanning the line and watercolour illustrations into the iPad, and typing up these handwritten poems – which at the moment are placed together in a homemade book. To do this I use: the “Scanner Pro” app, and give the image a tidy up around the edges in “”Procreate”, (with a good scan, I usually don’t have to dab about with any colour work in “Procreate”), then work in a great app called “Book Creator”.
I began this watercolour pencil drawing/painting above, with a blue Inktense pencil, then used Caran D’Ache Supra Soft watersoluble colour pencils, on Canson A4 245gsm acrylic paper. Again, as in this previous post, in the gallery of pics, I managed to chop of the top of the head! After I scanned it into the iPad, I fixed it up a little in the Procreate app, and in general, worked on it further.
I also smudged her face a tiny bit using the tool shaped like a finger pointing, (first setting it to 4B charcoal) as you can see in the middle pic below. *For the past week and a half, I’ve been using my new iPad Pro 10.5, excellent! Though the mini, and iPad Air 2 I’ve had are also very good. I hardly ever use a (clunky) computer for anything – and use an iPad instead.
I printed it onto A5 paper, using the same acrylic paper I used for the original work. Really love the texture of this paper. I plan to work further on the print. Some more details below – to enlarge them all, please tap on a pic.
I often like to draw or paint a “Mother and Baby” image. Being a mum brings me so much joy, and also: hard work, tiredness, and sometimes heart ache. And though we celebrate Mother’s Day this Sunday, here in Australia; I think mothers are worth special attention everyday!
I began this artwork above with a quick pencil sketch, then took it into Procreate – a particularly suitable app title 🙂 – where I dabbed in (freehand) some colour, printed it, added some watercolour on the print, then scanned it in again, and added more work in the app…this is the one you see here. I’ll print it as cards, as an A4 print, and also finish it as a (very!) mixed media artwork.
It can become quite wordy trying to share all the processes, and may sound complicated, but really it’s not. It just involves a lot of play, so it’s certainly good fun!
My website/blog continues to be a helpful online journal for myself, and hopefully for you also.
In the works below, I’ve included some media info on the captions. *To enlarge them all, please tap on an image.
I really enjoyed using all these bright colours in the “Procreate” app. It inspires me to try more of this colour boldness in my watercolours…as per the next pic.
This is painted with watercolour, though I first drew the white lines in oil pastel…initially difficult to see! However, enjoyed putting washes of colour over it and seeing the white appear. Added a bit of art app media.
I began this with pencil and watercolour….this has a bit more colour added in Procreate.
Had fun using my new set of water soluble pencils. A quick sketch, though not enough room at the top of the head…added it in with art app media. As seen in the next pic.
I put the top of the head in, in Procreate. I left enough room for this when I scanned it in.
A tiny watercolour, added a bit more white to it with the charcoal in Procreate. Looked pretty printed up.
Watercolour on a beautiful cold pressed Stratmore paper. You can see the texture here in the scan of this tiny watercolour.
I drew this late last year with a black Inktense pencil, and used the Scanner Pro app to bring it into the iPad. From that app I took it into the iPad’s photo section, and from there into the Procreate app. That’s where I tidied up around the edges of the scanned image, and then dabbed in some colour (freehand) using the artist crayon, coloured charcoal, and the ink bleed pen.
Recently I looked at it again and decided to print it. I thought the yellow areas were a little dull, and so I painted in some more colour with the Gesinski ink (and I think a little of the turpentine media) in Procreate. You can see this in the video further along. There’s a pic of these flowers before I added in more colour, in a gallery of images in a previous post.
If I print onto a watercolour or drawing paper (inkjet paper is made to better receive the printing inks) I usually have to saturate the colour (and sometimes adjust the contrast…) a little in the editing part of the iPad’s photo section. This also helps keeps the print in line with how I see the colours and contrasts on the iPad screen. I may not bother to do this if I intend to add more art media to to the printed image. I’m learning as I go along, through lots of trial and error (and most importantly) through play. 🙂 *Please tap on a pic, to enlarge them both.
It’s so interesting to see how each type of paper: watercolour, drawing, or the various inkjet papers I use, give their own unique character to the print.
I first purchased an iPad about 5yrs ago, and still marvel at the all the creative opportunities it has made possible. Not only for my adventures in iPad art, but also for printing it, and making “reproductive” prints of my traditional artworks; as well as for building this website, blogging…and so on – rarely use a computer. I began with a iPad mini, and now use an iPad Air 2; very soon will be using an iPad 10.5 Pro – exciting! Tried the apple pencil – excellent, but I’m happy enough to draw on the screen with my finger. 🙂 *Only four more flowers to go in this series…then I think I’ll start another one.